UK: Archie, 12 and brain dead, has died

3 mins read
UK: Archie, 12 and brain dead, has died


Archie Battersbee was at the heart of a legal battle between his parents and the British justice who wanted to put an end to his care.

Capture @Anna_Firth on Tweeter Archie Battersbee, 12, died on August 6, he was at the heart of a legal battle over the cessation of treatment.

Capture @Anna_Firth on Tweeter

Archie Battersbee, 12, died on August 6, he was at the heart of a legal battle around the cessation of care. (Capture @Anna_Firth on Tweeter)

UNITED KINGDOM – “He fought until the very end”. Archie Battersbee, the 12-year-old Briton who had been brain dead for four months, died on Saturday 6 August after the end of the care that kept him alive after a legal battle, announced his mother.

“Archie died at 12:15 p.m. today” , Hollie Dance, the mother of the young boy, who had been kept in a coma in a London hospital since April, told television. He was considered brain dead and British justice had authorized the hospital in mid-July to end the treatments that keep him alive. “He fought until the very end”, said Hollie Dance, in tears, “so proud to be his mum”.

Very sad news that #ArchieBattersbee has died and all my thoughts and prayers are with Hollie and the family. Thank…

— Anna Firth MP (@Anna_Firth)

View tweet

« Very sad news that is the passing of Archie Battersbee, all my thoughts and prayers are with Hollie and her family. Thank you to all the NHS nurses and doctors who cared for him until the end ”

His parents, Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee, who were supported by a Christian organization, had to resolve to let their son die after having exhausted all legal remedies, in the United Kingdom United and before the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

” I am broken “

The hospital was

“very clear” as to the fact that there is ” more other option ” and that the care which keeps him alive would be interrupted on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. (9:00 a.m. GMT) , had declared the mother of the child in an interview on Friday evening with the Sky News channel.

“It was very hard”, she said, “I am broken” . “I did everything I promised my little boy to do”, she said.

The parents had hired d ‘final legal appeals to have their son left the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, east London, and transferred to a hospice for discontinuation of care, to no avail.

“Taking into account the wishes of the family and their motivations, the equipment in a nursing home, what Archie would have wanted, the risks of a transfer and his increasingly fragile health, (…) I think it is in his interest to stay in the hospital for the cessation of care ”, estimated the judge at the High Court of London on Friday. The hospital considered his condition too unstable for a transfer, which could “very likely accelerate the deterioration feared by the parents »

Death as a result of a challenge on social networks

Archie was found unconscious at his home on April 7 and has not regained consciousness since. According to his mother, he participated in a challenge on social networks, called a blackout challenge, consisting of holding his breath until he passed out. His parents claimed to have seen signs of life but for the medical profession, his case is hopeless, justifying the cessation of treatment. Note that two girls, Lalani Erika Renee Walton and Arriani Jaileen Arroyo, 8 and 9 years old, died in 2021 because of this blackout challenge.

In a press release on Friday evening, the hospital group in charge of the care of Archie Battersbee expressed its “deep sympathy” towards the family of the young boy. “As ordered by the courts, we will work with the family to prepare for the cessation of treatment, but we will not make any changes to Archie’s care until the outstanding legal issues are resolved”, continued the statement.

The United Kingdom has in a recent past has already been marked by two other comparable cases. In April 2018, a 23-month-old child, Alfie Evans, suffering from a rare neurodegenerative disease died after a long legal battle by his parents against the cessation of treatment. His parents had notably received the support of Pope Francis, who had launched several calls for the maintenance of the boy’s life.

In 2017, Charlie Gard, suffering from a disease rare genetics, had died shortly before his first birthday, after the cessation of artificial ventilation despite the multiplication of appeals by his parents.

Also see on The HuffPost: Siamese twins separated using virtual reality in Brazil

Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Story

Ukraine: Zaporizhia nuclear power plant bombed again

Next Story

Death of Daniel Lévi, the singer of the “Ten Commandments” was 60 years old

Latest from Blog