The Worldwide Berlin Movie Competition, Europe’s first main cinema showcase of the yr, has introduced its Competitors line-up for the 73rd Berlinale.
Competition heads Carlo Chatrian and Mariette Rissenbeek unveiled this yr’s 18 official Competitors titles vying for the coveted Golden Bear, a variety which incorporates new movies from Christian Petzold, Margarethe Von Trotte, Emily Atef and John Trengove.
Six of the movies are directed by ladies, three are debut options and 11 filmmakers have had their works chosen by the Berlinale beforehand (eight in Competitors). As soon as once more, the 50/50 break up between female and male administrators within the Competitors line-up has not come to fruition, however the Berlinale stays head and shoulders above its European A-list competition counterparts Cannes and Venice on this respect.
Chatrian and Rissenbeek additionally revealed the movies for the Encounters sidebar aggressive part, which function tantalizing entries from Tatiana Huezo, Dustin Man Defa, Bas Devos and Wu Lang, in addition to the brand new movie by the prolific Berlinale mainstay Hong Sangsoo.
Among the many Competitors titles are the Sundance-premiering Previous Lives by Celine Robust, Makoto Shinkai’s animation Suzume, and the thriller Manodrome a few masculinity cult from South African director John Trengove, whose earlier movie The Wound opened Berlin’s Panorama strand in 2017.
There’s additionally the much-anticipated Ingeborg Bachmann – Journey into the Desert, Margarethe Von Trotte’s movie starring Vicky Krieps as Austrian poet and writer Bachmann. It’s the first movie by the acclaimed German filmmaker to play within the Berlinale Competitors since Heller Wahn in 1983.
French-Iranian director Emily Atef returns to the Berlinale with teenage love story Sometime We’ll Inform Every Different The whole lot, Berlinale common Christian Petzold additionally heads again to competitors with Afire – following his German hits Undine and Barbara – and veteran French filmmaker Philippe Garrel, who was final in Competitors in 2020 with The Salt of Tears, will premiere his household drama The Plough.
As beforehand introduced, the competition will open with the world premiere of Rebecca Miller’s romantic comedy She Got here To Me starring Peter Dinklage and Anne Hathaway.
Kristen Stewart will preside over the jury and Steven Spielberg will obtain an honorary Golden Bear for lifetime achievement, together with his autobiographical movie The Fabelmans closing the competition. (Keep tuned to Euronews Tradition for a full overview of the movie this Friday.)
Scroll down for the total Competitors and Encounters line-ups.
Solidarity with Ukraine and Iran
An extra Berlinale Particular title was additionally introduced: Superpower, by Sean Penn and Aaron Kaufman.
Billed as “the chronicle of a movie undertaking that actuality pressured to alter into one thing much less controllable however extra significant”, the documentary is about Penn’s travels to Ukraine, his bid to profile president Volodymr Zelenskyy, and the way the two-time Oscar winner discovered himself in Kyiv when the continued warfare with Russia started.
Chatrian stated the competition, recognized for its sturdy political emphasis, would highlight a number of documentaries and have movies from Ukrainian administrators, along with works from dissident Iranian filmmakers, in an indication of “solidarity”.
A Berlinale press launch said that “movie festivals are locations that strengthen freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and peaceable dialogue.”
“With the continued warfare of aggression in opposition to Ukraine, and the brave protests in Iran, in addition to in lots of different areas of the world, the Berlinale stands in 2023 much more firmly for these democratic values, and remembers victims of warfare, destruction and oppression all around the world.”
“Like quite a few cultural establishments worldwide, the Berlinale has expressed its solidarity with Ukraine and Iran. Solidarity is expressed throughout the 2023 Berlinale within the sections and initiatives within the movie choice and with numerous occasions – partly with cooperation companions.”
The Berlinale will present free exhibition area to Ukrainian movie business representatives on the competition’s sprawling European Movie Market, and spotlight co-production potentialities with Ukraine’s embattled administrators.
Rissenbeck and Chatrian revealed that the colors of this yr’s Berlinale could be blue and yellow – the Ukraine flag colors.
The Berlinale Particular titles additionally embrace the German premiere of Todd Discipline’s Tár, Robert Schwentke’s John Malkovich-starring Seneca – On the Creation of Earthquakes, Brandon Cronenberg’s Sundance-premiering Infinity Pool, and Man Nattiv’s Golda, with Helen Mirren starring as Golda Meir, the Prime Minister of Israel through the Yom Kippur Battle.
Moreover, the Panorama choice this yr will spotlight movies as “Instruments of Resistance.”
“Content material and type are the means used to convey their cinematic responses to advanced present occasions and particular person upheavals. The digital camera serves as a device, inspiration as a weapon. Photos are created that fill gaps and act as essential (oppositional) stances in societies,” stated part head Michael Stütz.
The thirty seventh Teddy Awards, the world’s longest-running and most essential queer movie award, will award the Particular Teddy for excellent deserves and achievements in queer cinema to the Sunny Bunny Award, the queer movie prize of the Molodist Movie Competition in Kyiv. The Ukrainian sister award to the Teddy was established in 2001 and is the biggest and most essential LGBTQI+ cultural occasion in Ukraine.
Right here is the total line-up announcement of the Competitors and Encounters sections:
- 20,000 Species of Bees by Estibaliz Urresola Solaguren (Spain)
- The Shadowless Tower by Zhang Lu (China)
- Until the Finish of the Evening by Christoph Hochhausler (Germany)
- BlackBerry by Matt Johnson (Canada)
- Disco Boy by Giacomo Abbruzzese (France / Italy / Poland / Belgium)
- The Plough by Philippe Garrel (France / Switzerland)
- Ingeborg Bachmann – Journey into the Desert by Margarethe von Trotta (Germany / Switzerland / Austria / Luxembourg)
- Sometime We’ll Inform Every Different The whole lot by Emily Atef (Germany)
- Limbo by Ivan Sen (Australia)
- Dangerous Dwelling by Joao Canijo (Portugal / France)
- Manodrome by John Trengove (UK / US)
- Music by Angela Schanelec (Germany / France / Serbia)
- Previous Lives by Celine Track (US)
- Afire by Christian Petzold (Germany)
- On the Adamant by Nicolas Philibert (France / Japan)
- The Survival of Kindness by Rolf de Heer (Australia)
- Suzume by Makoto Shinkai (Japan)
- Totem by Lila Ayles (Mexico / Denmark / France)
BERLINALE SPECIAL GALA
- Superpower by Sean Penn, Aaron Kaufman (US)
- The Klezmer Mission by Leandro Koch, Paloma Schahmann (Argentina / Austria)
- The Adults by Dustin Man Defa (US)
- The Echo by Tatiana Huezo (Mexico / Germany)
- Right here by Bas Devos (Belgium)
- Within the Blind Spot by Ayse Polat (Germany)
- The Cage is Searching for a Hen by Malika Musaeva (France / Russia)
- My Worst Enemy by Mehran Tamadon (France / Switzerland)
- White Plastic Sky by Tibor Banoczki, Sarolta Szabo (Hungary / Slovakia)
- In Water by Hong Sangsoo (South Korea)
- Household Time by Tia Kuovo (Finland / Sweden)
- The Partitions of Bergamo by Stefano Savona (Italy)
- Orlando, My Political Biography by Paul B. Preciado (France)
- Samsara by Lois Patino (Spain)
- Japanese Entrance by Vitaly Mansky, Yevhen Titarenko (Latvia / Czechia / Ukraine / US)
- Dwelling Dangerous by Joao Canijo (Portugal / France)
- Absence by Wu Lang (China)
The 73rd Berlin Worldwide Movie Competition will happen from 16-26 February. Keep tuned for our full preview of the 2023 Berlinale within the coming days, together with the breakdown of which titles are this yr’s sizzling tickets and potential future winners.